Monday, February 1, 2010

"Houses among Trees" by Vincent Van Gogh

This piece is entiled "House among Trees" which is drawn by Vincent Van Gogh in July 1890. It is currently located at Van Gogh Museum. I chose this picture because it looked like the artist was having hard time while he was drawing this piece. He seemed to use black charcoal and India ink to make these fuzzy and straight lines. He also seem to use different thickness of the line. Even though I felt depressed when I first look at this picture, I liked how he drew by using only one color.

6 comments:

  1. i love this picture. At first i couldn't figure out what was going on, (i thought everything was on fire), but after looking at it closely, i realized the 'flames' were trees(!) I really feel like the strokes in this picture have lots of emotion in them. The way the lines are thick and heavy makes the atmosphere seem gloomy and oppressive to me (even though i know its a little house surrounded by trees and should be happy and cheery.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is confusing at first. It almost looked like there was a huge gust of wind in some disaster movie that was taking over an entire city. When you look closer you can see that there are in fact trees all around this house (you can see a small chimney peeking out in the center).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this piece. It is as though everything is blowing in the wind, and to accomplish this kind of freedom in a charcoal drawing only with all of these lines is really amazing. It seems that everything Van Gogh did, to me at least, enveloped so much dramatic feelings in with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this. I'm a huge fan of Van Gogh and I think that this is a great example of line. I also agree with Sarah in that everything that he did has so much emotion that comes across easily to the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lines have strength.Especially the tree grab my attention. The road and other back ground support it. At the same time every parts are working very well as a whole picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Han-- There is definitely a lot of continuity in this image. It seems to be one of the defining characteristics of Van Gogh's style.

    ReplyDelete