Monday, February 1, 2010

“brushstrokes cut into 49 squares and arranged randomly”

Photobucket

The piece is entitled “brushstrokes cut into 49 squares and arranged randomly”, and is by Ellsworth Kelly. I guess i chose this piece because it looked like the artist had fun with it. He used what appears to be India ink (?) to make all these 'stray' lines and then chopped up his canvas into small pieces so he could rearrange them. I think there is a kind of carefree enjoyment you get from looking at this piece- the way the lines don't share even widths, how the brushstrokes aren't neat and the different directions the strokes curve in - all amplified by how the 49 square have been re-arranged.

3 comments:

  1. Great first post. Make sure to post the year that it was made (I think this one was 1951). What intrigues me about these lines is that while most lines don't extend further than one square, others do, but their motion seems very jerky. Overall, the lines seem unsure of themselves, as if they were made by a slow, indecisive hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this to me looks like someone drew onto a large piece of paper - deliberate randomness - and cut it up to make it random. The fact that the squares are so exacting in size and angle says there was thought put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this mostly as my first impressions of it were as some sort of garbled language. Symbols completely mismatched or rearranged. I find myself starting to dart across the piece, trying to match brush strokes up to where they may have belonged.

    ReplyDelete