Monday, February 1, 2010

Composition - Willi Baumeister 1948


The obvious place to start is with this piece is the fairly overt human form on the left. One armed and disjointed as it is, these indistinct shapes do imply human form. The lines consist mainly of contours that vary in weight only slightly along certain edges of the shapes. Very light lines intersect with the more bold shapes in what I'll refer to as the foreground. What it makes me think of is as if a 2d slice of a 3d person was put on display and another was taken as they started into motion.
The lines, with their abstract shapes and varying widths, are fairly organic. Likewise, the shapes imply motion or passage of time if one were to see the lighter lines as a snapshot of where this strange creature had been moments ago.
The varying shapes on the left confuse me somewhat, almost interjecting a more static element to a piece that evokes movement and change. The texture seems to jump out of the page and is somewhat jarring.

2 comments:

  1. I think that this is my favorite so far out of everyone's posts. I don't really know why I like it so much, but it really is a great example of line. Also, your description goes along well with this piece; very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though it looks weird, i like this piece.

    ReplyDelete