Sunday, January 31, 2010

Onement III by Barnett Newman


I selected this painting for the simplicity of it. It consists of one line. painted with oil on canvas, and it is painted roughly. not a consistent line, but broken. I have the feeling that a painting like this is seen two different ways. One, as an effortless piece that anyone could compose, and i guess in a sense that could be correct. Or two, a simple painting, that is trying to say much more with projecting much less. perhaps this is a glimpse in to the mind of a man trying to speak a feeling, could be loneliness. Or that is just the feeling i seem to see or experience when i look at it.

5 comments:

  1. Great post. I agree with you that its simplicity is somewhat deceptive-- when you look at it closer, you can see the erratic quality of the line against the smooth, untroubled constancy of the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah I agree with yu about the simplicity of the painting. Also the loneliness sound like a good idea. or maybe the roughness of the line depicts life which is also not always as smooth .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree too. The simplicity of this piece is catchy. You can look at it and see a line, a young tree, a path, anything! And all it is is a line and pleasantly soothing, warm colors. When I look at it, I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like the corners of the page get darker. Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to disagree somewhat that these colors are soothing, and I think the disjointed nature of the central line is very deliberate. What I see is rust or cracked and peeling paint. A spot of decay in the middle of an otherwise orderly piece. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This piece does have the "anyone can do it" feeling to it. I find it interesting the color choices for a simple piece like this one. Maybe there is some unknown symbolism behind the color choice. And for the line to go vertically, not say horizontally or diagonally.

    ReplyDelete