Monday, April 19, 2010

Self Portrait 1967

This self portrait by Andy Warhol is an example of an abstract art. Warhol was famous for often using his own image in his work as well as the portraits of many other celebrities. Many times he used the same image only changing colors to create an array of self portraits.
I saw this particular piece also in black and red.
He was a shy, non communicative person and while I was reading about him I found a quote which I liked: " If a mirror looks into a mirror, what is there to see?"

2 comments:

  1. I always like these kind of color arrangments. this opposite but totally in harmony. in this use of color it conveys drama, and extreme attention. i do though get the impression that they might not of been as thought out as some people think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote. I wouldn't say that this is an example of abstract art, however. Pollock is an example of abstract art (David posted an example a bit further down the blog.) Warhol's face is too clearly defined for it to be abstract-- it is slightly abstracted as a result of the high contrast, but in general this is still very representational. I would instead say that Warhol is an example of Pop Art-- a movement in the 60's defined by its irreverent use of popular culture to create fine art.

    ReplyDelete