Monday, April 19, 2010

Portrait of Madame Matisse


I chose this piece because it is an abstracted portrait like we did in the class. This piece is drawn by artist named Henri Matisse. He was one of the leaders of Fauvism (Artists who used strong color over the representational or realistic values retained by impressionism). I like this picture because it looks like he described this lady's personality using warm and cool color. By putting the green line or stripe in the middle of her face, the artist divided the face with cool and warm side. When I saw this, I feel the energy/power of this lady, but also calm side of her characteristic. Also, it looks like there is contrast in this picture. Left side of her face looks smooth but right side of her face looks kinda rough.

2 comments:

  1. He used many different colors and it still looks great. She almost looks like Frida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your observation about the green line. I absolutely agree, it does divide her face-- it's wonderful how everything still works together to form a unified whole, despite the color variations.

    ReplyDelete