Sunday, April 18, 2010

Colors Post


I like this piece by Jackson Pollock which is called One: Number 31,1950 because as with all of his other works, they can be interpreted in many different ways. Anyone can look for a specific color, think they found it, then someone else can have a different opinion about that same color. there are so many colors all thrown together that there is no correct answer. While in this piece it looks like there is a lot of black and white, if studied closely one could see some yellows and what appears to be dark greens. I wonder if when Pollock was making his pieces of work he had a certain plan of what colors he would use and when. I know that he would just fling paint onto canvas, which i think is a unique and pretty cool style of painting, but i wonder if he tried to get certain colors to appear in certain areas or if he wanted more of the paint to land in a certain part of the piece.
http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=78386

4 comments:

  1. It looks like he only used black and white. It's cool how he used other colors in this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right at first I only saw brown, black and white but looking closely there are other colors and shades. I'm wondering why he named the picture One: Number 31?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He usually did his action paintings in house paint, so the colors would have come pre-mixed. I'm unsure how he chose the colors, but my guess would be subdued natural colors. In one widely published interview, when asked if he painted from nature, he famously responded "I am nature".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the color choices he used...it makes it seem like a forest or a web in a dark corner of a room.

    ReplyDelete