Monday, February 15, 2010


This is another piece by M.C. Escher called "Day Night." I have a book of his works at home, and I've always been fascinated by his precision and fell for morphing patterns. You can see how the black geese flying to the left materialize from the night and the white geese flying to the right side materialize form the day. And when your eye moves downward, they become part of the square of land. Both the left and right sides of this picture are mirror images...only the lighting is different.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love pieces like this, where one thing becomes another based on if you are looking at positive or negative space. I feel like "Day/Night" is a weird name for it though. This piece makes me feel like my line of sight has to travel in two directions simultaneously and as if my eyes kind of hurt from looking at it. lol

    ReplyDelete