Monday, February 22, 2010

"A Mother's Journey"

When I was in the Dorsky I saw some great art, especially a piece in the permanent collection by Alberto Giacometti called Untitled. I really loved the photojournalism exhibit a little more. The reason is because some of the photographs were sweet and some of them were uncomfortable. It was not even the subject matter (such as the obvious hospital setting visual) so much as the angle, lines, and depth of the emotion taking place. There was one photograph in particular, I think #3 from the left. I believe it was when they were in her vehicle and she was on her cell phone(?). Anyway, the angle made me feel like I was intruding in the lives of these people.

Additionally the expressions on the faces both of the mother and the son were intriguing because sometimes he would be happy and she would be worried, or vice versa. It's also interesting because you would not think that photojournalism can have as much of an impact as a traditional piece such as Untitled by Giacometti, but it can, because of the method used when the photographer was taking their shots. They seemed very unplanned and spur-of-the-moment but yet deep, meaningful, and well thought out. I don't even remember the storyline as clearly as I remember the emotions evoked by the mother and her son on their journey through his illness and to his death.

1 comment:

  1. I like your comment about the angle of the camera making you feel like you were intruding into people's lives-- I agree. I get the sense of invading the family's personal space when viewing the photos. In photography, we take the place of the photographer, which can force us into the role of intruder, attacker, or loved one, depending on how the scene is composed, and the angles and lighting used.

    ReplyDelete