Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Alex Grey




http://www.cosm.org/
http://www.alexgrey.com/

Okay, so, having been an adamant TooL fan since 2000, I've always wondered where their concepts emerge. The album art is always unique. When I bought the Lateralus album, I was blown away by the insert - it's a clear plastic flip book and each page is a layer in the human anatomy art by Alex Grey. He does use pattern in his art as well which makes it relevant to this subject. Anyway, Alex Grey also works with Tool on their music videos, which if you have seen you know are completely unusual and mostly consist of claymation and disturbing imagery.

As for how this art makes me feel, it makes me feel that there is more to the world than meets the eye, and that our human body and soul are somehow interconnected to the universe and its energy which gives a sense of belonging and meaning. The eyes with wings (seraphim, apparently) remind me of the seraph mentioned in a book by Madeleine L'Engle that I read as a kid [forget the name but it might be A Wrinkle In Time] in the description. It makes me think that this is some sort of god-like projection and it is hovering over the human being who is placed in the center but is much smaller in size -- the asymmetry is inherent in here and makes one feel that we [humans] are small in comparison to the higher being, but not worthless.

4 comments:

  1. This pattern looked so confusing to me. I like how he used cathchy color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant really say i loved this one, but i do like the intricacy of the artist work and use of such vibrant colors. if all else fails, people will stare based just apon how it catches the eye and doesnt seem to really let go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Alex Grey. I think his work is great. I love how symmetrical this whole thing is. I also think that this is a very good example of many different patterns in one piece of art, though I do think that the bright colors may take away from the patterns themselves. Either way, this is a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This artist is brilliant in his own way. The vibrant colors are intended to "vibrate" literally. I want to go to his Hall of Mirrors one day.

    ReplyDelete