Friday, January 29, 2010

David Manis...Lines

















I found this picture on the Moma site. http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=G%3AHI%3AE%3A1&page_number=7&template_id=1&sort_order=2

Its called Fracture, state 19 and its by Steve DiBenedetto.

This piece caught my eye because of the way the lines are. The lines form shapes and at my first glance it looked like a house of cards. Then as I looked a little more at the piece, it reminded me of the Eiffel Tower. Some of the lines are countours while some others seem to be implied. There is very little hatching in this picture. Most of the lines are diagnoal, others are horizontal and vertical.

4 comments:

  1. David,
    This is a good start. Big kudos for being the first to post. I would argue that this piece is much less about lines than it is about planes; something you hit upon when you compare them to a house of cards. What do the diagonal lines say about this painting? Do they imply stability, instability? The overall composition seems relatively vertical to me-- also implied by your Eiffel Tower comment. There's a lot to be said about this piece. What do you think it says about modernity? (Clue: for those of you wanting to respond, but stumped as to what to say, look up the artist and get a feel for what made him tick.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I'm not sure what exactly Dibenedetto's Fracture means.If I remember correctly diagonal lines represents space, universe and that is maybe what the work represents. In an article about him I have red about forcing a lot of perspective into his work with a lot of crosssections which is visible in Facture. Other than that it seems a litle chaotic to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me think more of form and geometry than line. Not saying there aren't lines. I even see implied lines and some hatching. I like the random lines that go through the shapes to form their own shapes, almost as if bonding the shapes together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really does remind me of the Eiffel Tower and it's kind of cool. I think I could argue that there is a definite aspect of line in this piece, although it is more about the shapes and planes. I especially like that random white curvy line on the right side. At first, the eye is not drawn to it, but it appears after a few seconds of looking. I really do like this piece though.

    ReplyDelete